Sunday, December 21, 2014

The Grinch.

The Grinch came to visit us this holiday season. But instead of hiding behind green fur and reindog, he disguised himself behind our debit card number. 

I thought of a zillion ways to post this story, but in the end, I needed to remind myself that there will always be Grinches, but you will always overcome, and sing a chorus of avoo doray while holding hands with all the other little whoos in Whoville. Well, not exactly, but still.

I wanted to give you their names & aliases, so you would know who hides behind these internet walls, stealing our hard earned money that we had been saving for Christmas.

I wanted to show you a map to their house in Doral, Florida where all their high tech gadgets that they bought with our card number were delivered, in case you and your pitchfork were ready for an angry mob of Castros.

I wanted to yell and scream at the police, who do nothing. At the companies, who without more than a "sorry about that...", don't help, or even try. At the business owners that couldn't care less that you don't have the correct billing address or name that's on a card when people buy from their stores. At the world of mean, crooked, people.

I wanted to wish them into our home on Christmas day, to see the littles jump out of bed to find a plate of cookies and no more under the tree, and the tears of parents that couldn't fulfill the list of their children because of what they had done. That the spirit of Christmas future could show them that they had RUINED Christmas, and they would cry and repent, and beg "Spirit! No more!" in their British accents and apologize, and bring us the biggest Christmas ham hanging in the butcher's shop downtown. 

But that's not going to happen. It wouldn't help anyway, and people like that? They don't care who they hurt. 

But let me tell you something.

Among the tears, and frustration, and the hours of being on hold only to be told "There's nothing I can do...", my 11 year old daughter turned to me and said:

"Well, we just have to hope that whoever took our money needed it for their own kids Christmas."

And it was then that I realized. 
We have always taught our children that Christmas doesn't come from a box. Or packages, or bows. All along, we've taught them that Christmas was a celebration of life. Of Jesus giving a great gift to us all. The Jack-for-Jesus and the advent readings and the true storybooks of the nativity that we implement instead of Elves on shelves and lists upon lists of wants have all made a difference! All the horrible, no good name calling going on in my head was what was taking my holiday cheer away, and I wasn't going to let it.

Our little whoos won't let the Grinch steal Christmas, even if, as parents, we had forgotten. The tree won't be empty, the stockings won't hang deflated. We may not have everything, but we have each other, and we have health. We have a warm home and warm clothes. We have His love. 

We still have Christmas.

So, Merry Christmas, Grinch. 
(but you're still an a$$hole)

I mean....just sayin'....


Pin It

5 comments:

  1. That's just horrible!! The same thing happened to us last year during the great Target debacle. We had some lovely people up in New York City pulling money out of our account. :( Thankfully our bank was able to reimburse us. How awesome are your kids!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hillary! They're pretty awesome :)
      Hopefully we'll get ours reimbursed too! What meanies!!

      Delete
  2. Argh!!!! This has happened to us twice! Once was with a credit card and the other with our debit card. Both times resulted in a little inconvenience for us, but everything was credited back to us. Makes me so mad that these things happen though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so very sorry. I bought a coat this past fall and a couple of days later, I had LL Bean on the phone calling me about transactions on the card. I've only used it for LL Bean purchases, they stopped it dead in its tracks, issued me a new card and I wasn't at all responsible for the transactions. It was almost like it didn't even happen. Thumbs up to the Bean for their awesome customer service! I'm sad that you didn't get such great service. :( Meanies, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! Unfortunately they used ours on walmart dot com, which we use from time to time, so it's going to be a bit more difficult to work it out, but hopefully soon!!

      Delete

We LOVE hearing from you! Just remember these are for the einsteins' blog books, so keep it rated G :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails