Monday, March 17, 2014

St. Patty's Day Parade and the trip back in time

First of all, HAPPY ST PATRICK'S DAY! I hope you're wearing green, or some sort of flavorful mix of blue and yellow hues. We at the Castro home celebrate any holiday that allows us to dress crazy or view a parade. Bring on the bands! Men in skirts! Bagpipes! Whatever you can conjure up!
The einsteins and I hop, skip, and jumped up to the annual St Patrick's Day parade in the city this weekend. Daddy was in training for another marathon, so we paraded and returned before he even made it home. (and THAT, my friends, is a long run!)

The three of us awaiting the parade! via instagram, of course...

Green cotton candy, to encourage those green teeth...

Our view from the curb

love them.
I got these socks for Evan last year in the target dollar spot. He adores them, and I adore them tenfold when I see his little leprechaun feet on my rainbow blanket! 



When the baron mascot came by, he gave the kids knuckle bumps and decided to LAY DOWN on my rainbow blanket. I about died when his big ol' head about took out my lens, but Evan couldn't stop laughing for at LEAST 5 whole minutes. And when I say laugh, I mean, he was giggling UNCONTROLLABLY, peoples. Like couldn't catch his breath!

Laugh attack!


My favorite paraders - the wizard of Oz crew!!

Evan's favorite (besides the Barons mascot taking a nap with us) - the batmobile!

Em's fav - the greenish hounds.
 The skies held on until we got in the car, and let go on our way back home with the cold rain of winter's (hopeful) end. Back home, the weather was still nice, though the wind was starting to change. In true parade spirit, Evan decided that there aught to be a parade here at home, and since daddy had missed it, he could easily enjoy the glories of the hot wheel green parade!
The tracks were drawn on the drive, and many of the townsfolk (townscars?) pulled up to watch. 


 

Sweet girl and her dollies watched the parade from their shopping boutique nearby. Saige was all dressed in green from the parade earlier. Shes so fashionable. 





Not long afterwards, the sky became grey and we all retreated inside for the evening. 

------------------

This morning was our annual "green eggs & ham" at Joes. We were in deep conversation about if this was our sixth or seventh year doing this. We actually never came to a conclusion, but either way, little einstein hasn't had a March 17th without this traditional breakfast. 
An early morning family selfie!
Evan brought his friend, Ethan along for the yummies!

The menu has changed over the years from just green eggs & ham to the option of rainbow yogurt to no more rainbow yogurt (waaaahhhhh!), but ow you can order biscuits and gravy (NOT green) or green pancakes. 
oh, and cheese fries. 
Have you ever realized that your whole world rests in the hands of God in heaven and one very special person on earth? Crazy...
my love.
We had the assortment.

----------

Afterwards, when the daddy was off to work, the littles and I headed out on an adventure to a small town named Shamrock, Oklahoma. It was supposed to be a ghost town, and, well, need I say more? It sounded like the perfect mix of St Patrick's day and adventure, yes?

It wasn't a complete ghost town, there were a few people wandering to their cars and such, so we did a short driving tour. Em snapped a few shots and the boys talked about the ghost that lived in the town.


This building was actually green!



There was a bent, chipped sign that pointed the way to the town cemetary, so off we went!

just two.

Some grave markers were hand-made, like baby Davisson's. 

Me & the hubs birthday, 50 years before we were earthbound.  
 ---------
On our way back home, we stopped at a park my parents used to take us to when I was small. 
There were some new additions, like this merry-go-round.
She's taking pictures for instagram. 
 But, to my surprise, the rocket slide was still standing! This was the sibs and my favorite thing to play on in this park. We have SO many memories on this rocket. 
I remember climbing all the way to the top and feeling like we were SO far up, that we could see forever away. I'm pretty sure it took me a few visits before I actually made it up past the second floor!


One summer, the ice cream man came by and daddy bought us all the red, white, and blue bomb pops. Don't ask me how I remember that, it was just one of those things that stuck. 


It was the strangest thing, sitting there watching my einsteins up there, in the very same place that me and my 4 brothers and sister sat in, decades ago. Kinda wish we had carved our names into the medal ;)







We started to get hungry for lunch, so we wrapped it up with one last slide down the rocket. (The boys had to finish their "mission"), and headed back to home, stopping to grab a cache on the way, for luck, of course. 


Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!

xoxo, heidi
Pin It

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun weekend! Do you have a public Instagram account? I'd love to follow along on your adventures! I am @katebuesching if that helps. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE hearing from you! Just remember these are for the einsteins' blog books, so keep it rated G :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails