Thursday, June 21, 2012

Road trippin' Busy Bags!

Summer has officially arrived (yesterday, that is!!), and I have finally completed the kids' new busy bags for the summer road trip we'll be taking later this summer.
I usually use the shower caddies that I stock up on when I find them, but by the end of the trip, they're ripped apart and hanging by a thread, because, well, I have kids, and when we road trip, we road trip. It's not like a going-on-a-10hour-drive-to-Colorado thing. It's like a going-on-a-ten-DAY-driving-trip type thing. Oh yes.
It's our thing.
We road tripped pre-einsteins,
We road tripped with newborns,
We road tripped with family,
We road trip.
And this year's will be no different.
Except I found a better bag.
Check it out!
 I've been lusting after these since I saw them last year before school started. I waited until they went on sale after school ended, but they were still like $9, (I'm uber-cheap - don't judge! LOL!), so when i found them for $4 each on clearance, I went for it.
(and they had the einsteins' fav colors, no less!)
 They come with hooks for the wall for your stationary desk area, but I tossed them in the junk drawer and pulled out some carabiners to put on the rings instead.

And then I unloaded my busybag stash from the closet...
 Evan has his stuffs -
 ...and Em has hers. They have a few different items because a friend picked up a few things for them, but I try to keep them the same so that there's no arguing over someone getting something beeeeeeeee-terrrrrrrr.
 They would hang just fine on the headrests of the driver/passenger seats, but the carabiners allow me to take them off and on quickly so they can go into hotel rooms with us and trash/reorganize before the morning road.
The hooks work GREAT for hanging their electronics bags (their DS-es and ipods are inside) and their cameras.
 Em is our trip historian. She journals and scrapbooks our adventures in notebooks. This time we've added THIS PORTABLE PRINTER to our van for her to print photos as we drive, so she can scrapbook on the road. You can buy a battery pack for it, but our van has wall plugs, so we'll just plug it on in, and print away! It reads your memory cards!

A few other things we've stowed away...
Cash register paper! A whole box for $4?!?! Yes, please! We make driving time lines, driving Richter scales, and more with this paper!
A travel truth or dare game. Got this in the dollar bin at WM, which, by the way, almost ALL my busy bag items were a dollar or less)
And blue tickets, which are used for our "Good News Stand". They earn tickets along the road for good behavior (and lose them for bad), and when we stop for the night, they can use them to buy little toys I have stashed, or certificates for souvenirs along the way.

Pin It

32 comments:

  1. Grace & Matt's MommaThursday, June 21, 2012

    Found you on pinterest. Wow! Love your ideas! Where did you find the hanging bags? They are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walmart! But I've seen similar things at staples, too!

      Delete
  2. I want to be nine and go road trippin' with you!

    Those new organizers are awesome and I love that idea of taking a portable printer. Brilliant! We have already taken our summer trip, but now I want to go again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cash register tapes are awesome for creating comic stories, too. :)

    ✿.。.☆♪♫*❤*Melly*❤*☆.。.✿


    Stapler’s Strategies for Sizzlin' Second Graders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Joan, can I come along? Ok I knew it was a long shot. But I must know more about driving richter scales. Can you elaborate please? We are mini-roadtripping according to your standards and will only be in the car for 12 hours...Really it's a rented van with 11 people but still we'll need some stuff to keep the kidlets occupied.

    I thought I was doing good until I saw your stuff, now I'm inspired. Please share the details from above.
    Thanks for letting us glimpse your organizing prowess. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The kids each have a lap desk in the car. They each have a marker, and hold it realllllly lightly to the paper. The bumps and jumps from the moving car make a kinda richter scale-ish line along the paper. It's not actual or high tech or anything, just fun stuff the sibs and I did back in the day (when we all rode in the way backs!) and it's carried on. :)

      Delete
  5. I just found your blog, from pinterest. I enjoyed reading about your lovely family. What a gift you are giving your children. Thank you for sharing some of your organizing ideas. I can't believe you try to hide it! I am looking forward to reading more of your awesome blog! Many blessings, Misty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, so now I'm addicted to your blog. Incredible mommy you are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AH! I love you! This is the perfect solution! One side of my van doesn't have ANY kind of built in bag/pocket. We have 3rd kid in the middle, but the two older ones sit on the outside, so they'd just have to supply him anyway. Did you manage to find the carabiners cheap somewhere? I'm thinking keychain section, but are those strong enough once the bags are loaded?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah! (flexes muscles) I have seen them in the camping section at WM in packs and also at dollar tree.

      Delete
  8. I am having a hard time finding these. Which department in Wat-Mart and Staples did you find these?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them in the clearance isle at WM, but I noticed that they are getting their new school supplies in again, so they probably will have more similar things. They are made for wall hanging, so look in the files or wall hanging files at staples.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to a different Wal-Mart and found them!! (In the office supply section.)

      Delete
  10. This is genious! I have the same baskets in my laundry room/mud room for hats, mittens, scarves, etc. but they aren't really working. (http://asprinkleofthis.blogspot.com/2011/11/laundry-roommud-room-organization.html) I want baskets to hang instead but I didn't know what to do with my expensive organizers. Now I do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can you please tell me what the hanging baskets are for? Another lady said in the office supply section but I am trying to look them up online and am having a hard time finding the Bic I don't know what to search for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea. I've been to our walmart and several other office supply store with no luck. I plan on going to another walmart to check though. Do you happen to know what brand it is? Didn't know if Amazon might have them. I've tried so many "behind the seat" organizers and haven't liked them. This looks a lot sturdier for my kids. Thanks for sharing such a fun idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are AMAZING!! Love your ideas. You have given me the inspiration to get organized! Your family is lucky to have you. LOVE LOVE your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm nowhere close to being a mom, but you're an inspiration. I'm a minor-organization junkie (don't go by my bedroom haha) and you've given me so many awesome tips and ideas now. Following your blog for more great posts.

    (the richter game sounds like fun!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi, I'm with the others... would love more info on the name or link to the office organizers. I've been everywhere trying to find them. Do you know what they were originally called or a brand to look for? Love the suggestion, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cant remember the exact brand name, but it was WalMart's generic "office supply" brand with the black and white squareish symbol? It may be discontinued by now - you know how that stuff goes, but I'm sure you can find something similar. If not, perhaps once school starts up again! They are actually wall hanging file pockets, so maybe staples or target might have them. Good luck!

      Delete
  16. Great ideas. May I ask what kind of van you have? Mine doesn't have nearly enough storage or wall outlets! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love that! I am looking for a way to keep the road trip mess to a min. I will have to look for that. What's funny is that my 'road trip goodies' look almost identical to yours! We, too, got the truth or dare from Walmart about a year ago for a road trip and we were ALL in hysterics! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, BTW, WHERE did you get the cash register paper!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. http://www.amazon.com/Magazine-Storage-Pockets-Organizational-School/dp/B0019S20CS/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1393965747&sr=8-33&keywords=wall+hanging+file+organizer
    a link to a similar hanging folder thing...

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE hearing from you! Just remember these are for the einsteins' blog books, so keep it rated G :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails