Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Birthday Weekend!

NINE. The number of months in pregnancy, players on a baseball field, and the number of planets before Pluto got demoted to Star Planet. And as of yesterday, the number of years that my sweet baby girl has graced the Earth with her presence. NINE. The last year of single digit age, the first year of childhood (as opposed to early childhood), and the year we finally made it to Dallas.
You see, last year, she had made the choice to give up a party with friends and balloons and cake and the whole nine yards for a trip to American Girl Place in Dallas. And it was in the works, and things were getting finalized, but before the concrete dried, Hubby's diagnosis came through and we convinced her that maybe a small party with her doll and some friends and their dolls would suffice, and she was happy with that, but it was never gone for good from that little girl's mind, and when plans for the big NINE started coming about, the venture to Dallas once again came about, and we were determined to get her there.
Thursday I had everyone packed to go and Em's bestie slept over so she'd be ready for the early departure Friday morning. I helped the girls decorate their lap desks for the trip that evening before bed. There wasn't a whole lotta sleeping going on in that girly room that night, though! I heard giggles and plans being planned long into the night when I finally fell asleep.
Friday morning we woke early and piled into the car for the 4 hour drive south.





By the time we reached OKC, the girls were well into the entries in their travel journals (which, by the way, were STUPENDOUSLY funny, by the time we went home!). I had stuffed their "busy bags" with journals, pencils & pens, stickers, American Girl craft packets, and other such things to keep the "How much longer"s away.

Shortly before the state line, we stopped at a "Scenic Overlook". It was a hill from which you could see the formation lines of the rock that they had dug out for the highway to go through. It wasn't so scenic besides the vast amounts of flies waiting like rabid animals for the newest stream of trucker urine. Ew. Good thing I armed everyone with new B&BW hand sanitizers! Yay!


I don't remember the time, but the girls have it recorded (to the minute, on everything!) when we crossed into Texas. It had just begun raining, and so we quickly ran inside to potty (after a forced photo mini session on the Texas sign, of course)




Luchtime arrived, and we stopped at a shady looking Dairy Queen right off the highway. So shady, in fact, that we decided we'd rather eat a la car instead of going inside. I had put together these eating baskets for the kids pre-trip that helped keep the nasty fries off my floorboards (with more germ-x!) My drink was about the size of a half gallon o milk, but they say everything in Texas is bigger, so, I guess they were under pressure to  comply...

Our check-in time wasn't until 3pm, so we headed to the AG store first. As the building came into sight, there were shrill squeals from the back seat that were probably enough to make that poor groundhog not ever want to come out and see his shadow ever again. Ever.


The girls shopped in amazement for hours.
Hours.
It was super cute, I'm just glad this is one of the small ones!
They were SO excited when they saw that their doll (or one just like it) was modelling this outfit or that, and had SO many things packed in their bulging shopping bags that in the end, we had to find a good spot to calculate the totals and keep each girl on their budget.
We had an appointment later on for an afternoon tea, but since we were there, and we had just eaten lunch, we sat down for a drink.







We decided on milkshakes all around and a dessert sampler (because shakes aren't dessert enough for this crew!)

 Look at that waitress sing!
Happy Biiiiirrrrthday, dear Emma!









By the time we left, we were loaded down with giant bags of pink goodies. I think hubby and evan were looking longingly at them, wishing they could be carried out inside them, and they probably could have fit!

It was time to head to the hotel!
We stayed right across the highway in the Galleria Hilton. Bestie's mom is a hotwire dot com expert and got us a great rate!
 Immediately, the girls unpacked their goodies. They had each bought a school desk set, so a small AG school was immediately built and played with for hours on end...
 ...while the men relaxed and watched TV.

The hotel had glass elevators that were lined with mirrors. It was a big hit with all the kids.
(okay, me and the hubs liked it, too.)

The Hilton had a free shuttle that would take you to and from the Galleria Shopping Center, so we hopped on it to eat dinner and go ice skating, but right after dinner, my tummy was feeling a little rumbly and Evan was breaking down from no napping, so he and I rode the shuttle home while hubby & the girls stayed to skate.




Now, here's where it starts to get ugly.
I feel like I should have some sort of TV warning label inserted here.
BUT,
by the time the trio arrived "home", Ev was asleep and I was comfy as I could be in my fetal position with a rumbly tumbly, and the girls went to sleep with sore bums from skate falls and hubby with a headache.
Until...
around 2am
when hubby got sick.
Very sick.
Several times.

And then all was quiet.

The next morning, we were all feeling a little blah, but not all that bad, so we decided to head to the nearest grocery for some staying-in-the-hotel-all-day foods.

Soon after we got there, it struck Emma.

And after a looooong walk to the bathroom,

and several stops to leave DNA and last night's dinner in puddles on the floor,

we were rushing her out of the store with a produce bag around her mouth.

It felt like FOREVER until we got back to the room, and we all laid down. Me with my aching belly, hubby with his headache and sore tummy muscles, and poor Emma with her exploding mouth.
Evan and the bestie were okay, and luckily they had each other to keep company as the rest of us fell into a sleep.

We awoke later that day, and felt better. Not all better, but better - ish.
Hubby had plans to take Ev to a motorcross race that evening, and was debating on whether he felt well enough or not to go.
Either way, he was going to take the girls back on the shuttle to the AG store, as they had a couple more "must-haves" to pick up first.
Just as he was about to leave, I went to the bathroom.
As I stood up, in an INSTANT, I began POURING sweat from every pore in my body and I felt myself going weak. I called for John, who squeezed into the teeny tiny bathroom to help me back to bed. But it was too late by then. I knew something was wrong, really wrong.
I was going to pass out, and I was about 99% sure that I was going to die.
Right here.
In the teeny tiny bathroom.
On the dirty floor.
In (yech) TEXAS.
I just wanted hubby to hold me, and I remember praying over and over that I wasn't ready to go home yet.
I can't remember now, but when I awoke, I was sure i had been gone days - a week maybe. I had been walking around, doing things, seeing things, living, for a week, and then SNAP, I'm being pulled onto the hotel bed, like time travel.
So weird.

I could hear Emma crying and hubby telling them to pack up in case we had to go to the hospital.
I tried to tell her it was going to be okay, and I was sorry I ruined her birthday trip, but no words came out.

Within an hour I was okay. I was still sore and tired, but I wasn't sweating or anything. I chalked it up to stress of the fear of throwing up (besides a june bug in my hair, throwing up is at the top of my worst fear list).

Needless to say, we spent the night in bed, watching shows and playing with the dolls and such, and in the morning, we felt well enough to head home.
We went to ihop for breakfast, where they got my order wrong and dripped strawberry on my shirt, but the kids thought it was funny when I told them that vampire mommies nurse with blood instead of milk, and why hadn't they remembered that they were raised on blood??


One more stop on the way home...




And then we drove all the way back to our cute little home to our furry family members and our comfy old bed and nice big bathrooms.

And then...

It struck Evan.
yep, all night long hubby and i were changing sheets and washing sheets and trying to encourage use of the vomit bucket, which went by the wayside.

Yesterday, on her actual birthday, bestie and her mom came and took Em out so she wouldn't be stuck with the sickies for her birthday, and then she had dinner with her Grandad and Darla, who took her to get her favorite yellow curry chicken and Littlest Pet Shops.

And now, it's Tuesday, and everyone feels better.
I still have stomach cramps but other than that, I think we're doing okay.

And I don't want anymore stomach bugs EVER again.

Happy Birthday, dear Emma.
As eventful as they come, I do believe!
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Bless your hearts, was it the DQ. I bet it was although I love DQ. I love AG. I would love to have my own birthday party there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to the blog and have been reading back through the years.. I would just like to say how comforting it is to read about someone who has vomit at the top of their fear list! I have the biggest vomit phobia and react the same way you do. How do you handle it when the kids throw up? I've always wondered what I'll do when I have kids and they get sick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll clean it, no problem, as disgusting as it is. But you'll DEFINATELY need to cover your nose and mouth, and even then you gag. I personally always felt worse when they got sick. So helpless. And it doesn't even bother them, really. It's just my fears that I impose onto them! Lol!

      Delete

We LOVE hearing from you! Just remember these are for the einsteins' blog books, so keep it rated G :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails