Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Back to School

You would think, wouldn't you, that with both einsyeins in school, I'd have more time for such importances as mommy-blogging or reorganizing the pantry, but funny thing, I just don't.
I'm actually in the process of trying to figure out how this curiosity came to be, but in the meantime, hubby has requested a new blog be entered into the history of the family, and so I'll start where I left you, many days ago.

Our little punkin is entering third grade. Although she has been attending school since she was 18 months old (they start 'em young in Cali!), she began her pre-k year in this house, in front of which I have been tracking her growth every first morning of school, dreading the day she refuses in fear of sheer humiliation should her friends come to pick her up whilest little old momma castro tells her to stand straight while she remarks at how much she's grown since last year, and all the new and exciting things that she may learn and do this year.
It's coming, I know.
But until then, she will be charted in my most pictoral way, growing up to our welcome sign, which has weathered many storms, but is hung just in the same spot, waiting it's 5 minutes of fame when the castro kids head off to school that early morning in the hot august sun.
 This year, her outfit was covered in purple, lavender, and every hue in between.
She looked amazing.
Beautiful.
Grown up.
(snif)
 It was nice to see that her new teacher, Ms. Wyckoff, was feelin' the purple that day, too.
 ...and then we come to the baby einstein who is no longer a baby, but a "big boy", who is off to "big boy school".
 (My GOSH, aren't they lovely, if I do say so myself!)

A new start is made this day, as little Evan gets his turn on the wall of first-day-fame.
I cannot imagine when he enters 3rd grade, that he will be taller than this little baby faced beautiful boy standing so proudly for his big day.

 He was hard at work when we left that morning for a parent meeting in the room down the hall.
He did very well that day, but the next few days would bring tears, fears, and a few drop-and-runs, but he's getting there, and I'm telling myself that I am, too.
It's hard to let him go, especially when he's yelling for me to come back. That he wants me, that nothing else in the world will do but me, even knowing he'll be fine before I even wipe the tears from my own eyes and turn on the ignition.
We've been together for 3 years now, and it was just us, just me and that little boy, with dirt on his cheeks and a caterpillar in his hand, looking up at me with those big brown eyes filed with pride.
But my job has always been to teach him to fly, no matter how hard it is.
And he's flapping those little wings of independance.
It's a double edged sword. I am SO proud that he's going, as hard as it can be some days, to play at school with new friends and new teachers, but it absolutely kills me that he's that much closer to leaving the nest that for so long kept him close and safe under my wing.

I love these children, and I am absolutely swelling with pride that they are so smart and anxious to take on the world.

Happy First Day of School!

Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I'm so far behind catching up with your blog. You kids are so beautiful!!! Such beautiful photos. You're such a good mommy!!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE hearing from you! Just remember these are for the einsteins' blog books, so keep it rated G :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails