Thursday, May 12, 2011

Indianapolis Day 3: Surgery

Well. Here I am, kicked out into the waiting room alone, and I mean, ALONE. I have never felt so small in my life. But, anyway, off to John...
The family support nurse just filled me in that he was prepped and asleep when she saw him last, so the surgery started probably about 5 minutes ago. It's about a 2 hour surgery, but he seems to work fast, so we'll see around 12:45 OK time how everything went. (And it'll be fine).
We arrived at 9am for a 1pm surgery (huh?) yes, that's pretty early, but when the nurse told us at 10:30 that Dr. F was finishing up patient #1 (from washington, DC, I might add), I realized why we were brought in so early.






After a slew of nurses and doctors visited us (NO!! He's NOT allergic and NO, he's NOT on any meds for the ZILLIONTH time!), he was ready to go, even though I wasn't.
At all.

Huh uh. I'm not leaving. Can't i just lay here under the gernie?? I'll be quiet! I won't even take pictures!! Okay, well maybe a few....dozen...
Okay, I'm leaving. Put the security radio down.
I'll be good.
Promise.

So now I'm here in the surgery waiting room, section 9, with a pager and enough stuff to put a hoarder to shame, curled up in a corner, using all the plug ins and kleenex and making other waiting peoples uncomfortable enough to leave to the other 8 sections (all except for a guy that has his headphones in, and even I can hear the rock and roller screaming his songs, so it's pretty safe to assume that he can't hear my wailing and every now-and-again sharp inhaling breaths from the overly dramatic crying fit I exposed everyone to.
I know. It's embarassing. Why do you think I came alone? Sheesh!
I'm calmer now, though, and, my sharp inhales are slowing to a stop.
 Oh, just happened again. Fail.
 But I kinda wish they'd give an option of sedating family members as well, ya know? Think about it!
Anyway, as things move on, I'll keep you updated. It's going to be a long, exhausting day, but at the end of it, we'll all be much better off, right?
Right. 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

We LOVE hearing from you! Just remember these are for the einsteins' blog books, so keep it rated G :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails