Wednesday, April 27, 2011

CANcer Update

(Big breath)
Well. Remember how I was all freaked out that hub's biopsy was sent off to Johns-Hopkins for a second look because I thought only serious case went there? Well, turns out I was right, our Dr. was a little bit wrong. Let me start at the beginning.
Soon after we got the great news about his biopsy, and we were faced with the choice of surveillance  or surgery, we sent the results to an expert in this field in Indiana. When he sent back an email stating that he highly suggested surgery because of our "special case", we were a little confused.
(And now I'll dumb this down a bit so I can explain, and you can understand, and we'll get along fine)
Hubs has a bit of rare cancer cells that are bad news. They are resistant to treatment. I can't remember their real name, but it sounds like "peanut cells". Basically, the only way to get rid of them is to take them out. If they spread to something you can't take out....well.....
SO, he ended up calling and discussing our case. Hubs needs a surgery asap, and it's very important that he get it done by an expert in this surgery. Enter Johns-Hopkins, Maryland, and Indianapolis, Indiana. Since we had built a trust with this doctor in Indiana, he referred us to a surgeon that had the most experience in this field, and then the ball began to roll. Slowly, mind you, but roll.
Our secondary insurance declined to pay this one, seeing as how he could get a similar surgery done here in-state, but since the hospital in Indiana is in network, we hope (cross your fingers) that they will cover a part of the expenses. Either way, we're going, and we'll get this operation, and we'll beat this cancer.
My mom is flying out and will stay here with the kids (both of the fleshy and the furry kinds), and hubs and I will make the 12 hour drive up there. We will leave on May 10th for the surgery on the 11th & 12th. It will be about a 2 night stay in the hospital before they release him to come home. We'll be taking the van so that on the way home, the seats will fold and the air mattress will rise, and he can lay down the whole way. (He always liked the fact that our van had wall plugs and red/white/yellow plugs for his PS3... now he'll get 12 hours to take full advantage!).
Two of our dear friends, Holly & Veronica, have begun organizing a donation drive to help raise funds for the surgeries. We normally hate to accept help, but there comes a time when you have to swallow your pride and say "okay", and there's no better time than now, I suppose. SO, soon, they will begin their crusade, and we'll be off to Indiana, and you all will be praying, and in the end, we'll all have fought this off TOGETHER.
Want to get ahead of the rush? Donate a dollar or two! I've added a button at the top right.
Thank you!
Pin It

5 comments:

  1. And so begins a journey... I know it is not a journey you want to take, but you have to and it sounds like you are positive and determined. You and yours are in my prayers.

    Now, off to kind the credit card...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry to hear about this!! We are up the street if u need us! I would love to help out in some way! We will be praying for u guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be praying for you guys. Accept those donations, gas is high!! Also, I have experience negotiating with ins. co. so let me know if you need help. I can write some good letters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are so sorry about this. I hope that John will be getting better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnny and Family,
    So sorry to hear about this. I know God will hear all the prayers and will help the surgeons and doctors know how to get rid of this. I will get you and your family on the Barnsdall First Christian Church Prayer chain.
    Jane Javine

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE hearing from you! Just remember these are for the einsteins' blog books, so keep it rated G :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails