Saturday, June 5, 2010

Life in L.A.

One of the first places that Emma & I had to come visit was the Giant Robot store. It sells little toys and trinkets that are more off the beaten path, and, more importantly, where the original Ugly Dolls made their debut! It was a cute little store, not at all what I had imagined when the creators of Uglies, David & Sun-Min, twittered about doing book signings and such there, but it was cute & refreshing - a little hole-in-the-wall hidden treasure. Emma bought some overpriced Uglydoll notepads and I got a GR car decal that featured a pug :). There is also a Giant Robot 2 down the street, but it has more art and such - the "grown-up side of the GR enterprise, I supppose.
The other shops downtown were interesting, too. They were full of super cute little inventory, but all at inflated prices, which was to be expected.
My Uncle was celebrating his birthday this day, and we were on our way to meet him for dinner. We still haven't gotten in the habit of allowing traffic times to get anywhere here, so usually we've been running late or driving back and forth for hours on what we mistakenly thought would be a quick drive from here to there. Reminds me a lot of what I DON'T like about California!
We DID, however, get to see a couple intresting things driving around of the highways. One of which was the home of the Goodyear Blimp. Now I know we see these quite often over football games an such, but I don't think I had ever seen its actual resting place...
We had also seen a movie set being filmed, which they shut the highway down for. People around seemed to treat it like everyday life around here! Hee hee!
After the birthday dinner, we headed back to my grandparents' house for dessert. While there, my mom brought out something that whisked me away to the past. The {original} Weebles Haunted House Playset.
I remember like it was yesterday, playing with this exact toy, over 20 years ago in my grandma's house. My sibs and I had endless hours of fun with these little weebles, and we'd fight over who got which one.
The tradition continued to the 3rd generation, because Em & Ev played with them for a loooong time that night, and really enjoyed it. Perhaps now, they may have the same fun memories one day!
Here's Evan and his great-grandpa! Aren't they handsome?! :)
It was back down to San Diego to stay with my brother and Riza, who Emma has taking a strong liking to. (Okay, I admit it, I have, too! Ha ha!) Here are the girls making artwork after a yummy dinner!
(Riza cooks like you wouldn't believe!)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

We LOVE hearing from you! Just remember these are for the einsteins' blog books, so keep it rated G :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails