Monday, March 8, 2010

A chemical/germ imbalance...

You all know that I have a phobia of dirty things. Germs, jeans, drool to name a few. I guess the fear of them entering my (and my family's) bodies always grosses me out. Not just the fact that "germs" as a whole, or "dirt" as a whole is so bad, but my mind sees things differently. You know how, in movies, they can zoom in on something really tiny and you get to see, microscopically, what it looks like or made of? That's Heidi's mind. The super duper microscope. And even though I don't actually KNOW, per se, what dirt is made of, my mind zoooooooooms in, and there it is. A big worm turd, some humanlike limbs scattered around from various bugs, oh look! fly vomit!, grasshopper eyeballs - all 1 billion, june bug guts and cat pee. Sounds so much worse than "dirt", huh? So when a friend sent me an article on the unknown effects that chemicals found in hand sanitizer have on children, I kinda freaked out a little. Okay, a lot. Unknown?? What?? What does that mean?? Well, in effect, it means that Heidi has no control, so it causes utter chaos in my head. 
Which brings me to my project for the day - chemical-free hand sanitizer. Now spare me the speech about how it's good for you to have germs, yadda yadda yadda. I know. It's a phobia. It's uncontrollable, and I accept it. BUT, there are times that even soap & water are unavailable, and you'd be glad to use it. 
Soooo...for all you moms out there, here's the recipe...
Chemical-Free Hand Sanitizer
1/4 Cup Grain Alcohol (I used vodka, it's pretty close!)
1/4 Cup Aloe Vera Gel
5 drops Tea Tree Essence Oil (I used a spray)
and 5 drops of your favorite scent of oil (Optional)
Just mix it all together to make your sanitizer. I usually put it all in a jar and shake to mix. I don't use the fragrance oil, and it smells fine to me, plus it has less "stuff" in it, and it's a pretty color :)
I hope you make it, and enjoy it!
Keeping the world germ-free, one hand at a time
Ha!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

We LOVE hearing from you! Just remember these are for the einsteins' blog books, so keep it rated G :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails