Thursday, November 12, 2009

30 Years ago...

30 Years ago today, I became a big sister for the first time. On this day, in 1979, my little brother, Alexander Ryuza, was born into our family, and into my life.
Of all 5 siblings, Alex & I are the closest in age, and I often thought that perhaps that was the reason that we fought more than the others seemed to. Several times as a child I wished that I was the last Eberle child to be born in our family. Now, looking back, I can see that of all the siblings, Alex's prescence perhaps had been one of the most crucial events in my lifetime. He changed my life in so many ways, and made me a lot of who I am today.
Every once in awhile, a great mind is born. One with so much imagination and awesome individuality, that others often times don't understand it. The kids with their heads in the clouds, the ones that make you wonder "where" they are.
Alex was one of those great minds. Alexander the great. Perhaps most boys can make guns out of anything, but can they also make those guns sound so real, and the stories they tell so authentic, that as an 8 year old, you absolutely know what it was like to be in the civil war? Many little 6 year olds love dinosaurs, but can they tell you which dinosaurs lived in which period, who ate what, and how big they were? There were dinosaur museums on display in his bedroom several times a year, complete with dioramas and information researched thuroughly.
My brother was a constant dreamer. My mom called it "boggling". Someone who could live in his own world and come and go as he pleased.
And I love that.
I was the coolest pre-K teacher because I knew all my dinosaurs. I can make anything out of blocks, and I know and recognize most GI Joe figurines. I can make machine gun sounds with my tounge, and build forts out of sticks.
I'm gonna be the best mommy to my own little boy, in large part to my little brother, who taught me how to live in the land of little boys.
Now, 30 years later, I love him even more than I ever did. He's moved away, and become a great architect and renovates old missions in California. Who else could picture something in all it's glory and beauty when others see old broken rocks?
I got a note from Alex soon after losing our son, his first nephew. It was so honest and sincere. I have that note close to me always. Sometimes, when you are so far apart, it's hard to remember how things were when you were young, and always together. But sometimes, if you think about it, you realize that it's still there. That you can never go home again, but you will always have home inside, as long as you have your family.
Thank you, Alex, for being you. You are so special to me. I love you very much and I hope this birthday brings you nothing but happiness and bliss!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

We LOVE hearing from you! Just remember these are for the einsteins' blog books, so keep it rated G :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails